Friday, December 01, 2006

 

YIPPEE

Remember last month when I bragged about getting the City's Utility Bills done in record time? Well, I just finished doing them again today, I didn't keep track of time and had a few more distractions, but that's not why I'm so happy. I'm happy because now I'm going to have a lot more time on my hands. Why you ask? Because I just finished those bills for the last time. You see, 32 years ago, my dad became City Clerk of our little town here in Iowa. 18 years ago when I graduated from High School, I pretty much became his assistant in this job, as well as a partner in our 2 retail businesses. Over the years, the Clerk job got more technologically advanced, resulting in the City buying a computer in 1993. Guess who got to figure out how to do the billing at that time. Me. Slowly, he started giving me more things to put on the computer, and/or get figured out with the computer.

Earlier this year, about the time I mentioned that Dad was running for County Supervisor, he told me he was going to resign as City Clerk, regardless of the outcome of the election. When the election bid fell just short, I thought maybe I could talk him into reconsidering, but no, his mind was made up, and he tendered his resignation this past Monday.

It's going to be different come January 2, when I don't have to bust my butt to get the Utility Bills out, but somehow, I think I'll manage to handle my giddiness. Dad might be the one who really has a problem getting rid of the smile on his face. You see, in Iowa, there is a pension fund (Iowa Public Employees Retirement System, better known as IPERS) that is paid into and available for Government workers, from State down to the local level. From this fund that he has paid into for the past 32 years, he will be receiving a monthly check for roughly the same amount he was taking home as City Clerk.

Well, it's after 6:00, and I've actually been off the clock for the past half hour, so I think I'm going to head home now. I just wanted to get this posted tonight while I'm still happy about being done.

Comments:
Woo hoo--now you'll have free time to blog more! :D

Glad that worry is off your shoulders.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?