Thursday, September 21, 2006

 

Wednesday Whatever - September 20 edition

Okay, you may notice I'm doing this on Thursday the 21st, I forgot to do it yesterday, or ran out of time, or something like that.

For the first time, I watched a "reality" show on purpose last night. The Biggest Loser was on, and since I "know" somebody who knows one of the contestants this round, I decided to watch once. I don't think I was actually following the spirit of the show for the first half hour or so...I was busy stuffing a home made pizza down my throat. The show itself was pretty good, although I really didn't care for how they'd tease you with a weight coming up and cut to commercial, or when the red team had to vote somebody out, they did the same thing. But I guess the producers think that adds drama to the show.

Speaking of weight loss, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that surgery is the only way I'll be able to accomplish even getting halfway to my goal weight. Fortunately, I have found a WLS (weight loss surgery) that I am seriously considering. My biggest hold ups right now are a) paying for it (no insurance), b) it's MAJOR surgery and should not be jumped into, and c) I am the biggest wuss you've ever seen when it comes to needles and/or pain, and there would be plenty of both involved in the recovery as well as during the prelude to surgery.

I'm doing okay on my own, pretty much maintaining, if not dropping a couple of pounds here and there, but at my current weight, it's not enough to even mention. I mean, really, a couple of pounds here and there is fine if you weight around 200-250 or so, but up where I am, that would compare to 40-50 pounds here and there for something to be proud of.

One thing I've definately decided, I am sick and tired of letting my weight determine what I can and cannot do. I want to go to more "big league" races (they finally just built a track 2 hours or so from my home). I want to go to an amusement park and be worn out because I went on every ride and walked the entire park 3 times, not because I walked up to the front gate. I want to walk up to any vehicle, get in, and drive it, not stand there and say "nope, ain't gonna fit in this one either". There's more, but I'm getting depressed here.

I'll add my disclaimer that I put on a message board once. I'm not helpless, I've never used a wheelchair, cane, or walker. But I can only walk a very limited distance before my body starts telling me to stop and rest. Not my heart and lungs either, my back, knees, and hips basically tell me to "sit down before we make you fall down."

Comments:
I'm rooting for you Tim!
 
Thanks bud. I just did the truck scale thing last night (drive on, get out and step off, subtract to find the difference) and found that since a trip to University Hospital in Iowa City in May of last year, I've lost anywhere from 30 to 70 pounds. Scale was fluctuating by 40 pounds with me on with the truck and 20 with me off, due to the wind I think.
 
Woo hoo Tim!

You're right--there's nothing easy about WLS; not the decision, not the actual procedure and definitely not the emotional side effects that will come with it. I hope it all works out for you!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?