Monday, July 24, 2006

 

RAGBRAI

For those of you not from Iowa, that stands for "Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa". Every summer, the Des Moines Register sponsors a ride across this great state of ours. It is surprising how often it rolls through my general area in the state, but rarely hits my hometown. This is the third time in 5 years these 5,000 to 10,000 bicyclists have ridden through the town 8 miles East-Northeast from here. We got in on it 2 years ago when we were the lunch stop, just over halfway through the first day.

I hope when I lose some weight, they'll come rolling through here again, and I can actually help out with the fundraising that occurs with the various organizations selling food and trinkets. In 2004, I stayed home and watched the race on TV, except for the 2 times we got called out on EMS calls. One was for a lady in a van that didn't feel good, coming home from the lake. Another was for a disoriented rider near our local pool, where all of the stands were located. For about 4 hours, every street that could have vehicles that day were narrowed down to barely one lane wide with all the support vehicles in town.

I think the riders are all nuts, but I guess, the last time I looked at a bicycle and it didn't melt out of fear of my getting on it was well over 20 years ago, I'm sure they're in a lot better shape than I am. Although I still don't see the sense in riding 40-70 miles a day with a bicycle seat crammed up your butt.

Comments:
IMHO, your talents are porbably more needed in the EMS unit than the food /trinket service. It might me a little better if you were out int the crowd, ready for an emergency, though.
 
That might be true if I was actually trained in EMS, but I only respond to the calls to document which of our members were there and fill out our run reports.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?