Wednesday, June 14, 2006

 

Wednesday Whatever - June 14 edition

Last week I started a new job that I can do while on duty at my present job, but it pays $20 an hour. Too bad it's only an hour a day, 3 days a week that I do this other job. The job is to leave our store at about 10:00 in the morning, arrive at the Senior Center in the next town South by 10:30, and wait for 3-5 lunches to be ready for me to pick up and bring back here for the local Meals on Wheels program.

It's kinda wierd, the ladies that prepare the dinners I actually kind of knew before going there, but didn't know they worked there. One is the mother of a friend of mine that once worked on my pit crew occasionally, and the other is an aunt of my favorite bartender/waitress at the local bar/cafe.

Most days I have time to slip through a drive-thru to pick up my own lunch, but Monday I didn't have time, plus I didn't know if the person delivering the meals that I was picking up was going to show up since I couldn't reach her on the phone. I called Dad as I was leaving the Senior Center, and she still hadn't called, so I'm going over in my head what to do if she didn't show up. Well, I get to 2 miles out of my town when my cell phone rings and Dad tells me that she's there waiting for me...what a relief. Today I had time to stop and grab my lunch, but when I returned to town, the delivery person wasn't waiting for me yet. I came into the store to see if she'd checked in with Dad, and she hadn't, so I called her home, no answer. Dad told me to give her 10 minutes before deciding what to do. Luckily, she showed up in about 7 minutes.

One day last week, I almost lost the lunch I'd picked up for myself, as the delivery person was going to grab that sack in addition to the coolers that she was supposed to.

I'll have this job until the end of August, so I'm sure there'll be more stories coming out from it.

Thanks for reading.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?