Thursday, June 08, 2006

 

It's Recipe time again

This time we're going to explore my version of Spanish Rice. It's not what you typically would call Spanish Rice, but that title sounds a lot better than "Hamburger and Rice - Red" (because I also make a white version that I don't make as hot (seasoned hot, not heat hot).

1# Ground Beef
Sliced/Diced/chopped Fresh Mushrooms (or small jar of sliced mushrooms)
3/8" slice off of a 1/4 size pit ham, diced
1 1/2 cups water
1 small can Tomato Sauce
2 cups Minute rice (unprepared)
Finely shredded Colby/Jack cheese
Seasonings (all to taste)
Tabasco Sauce
Soy Sauce
Garlic Powder
Chili Powder
Cookies brand Flavor Enhancer

Okay, here we go. Start browning Ground beef in a 13" skillet. When it's about 1/3 browned and some of the fat has melted off, add the mushrooms if using fresh, otherwise wait until about 2/3 done and add with the ham. When the beef is fully browned and the mushrooms and ham are hot, add the tomato sauce, then I always rinse the can with the water just to get it all into the dish. Add the seasonings and bring to a boil. Once boiling nicely, give it a stir and add the minute rice, bring to a boil again. Let simmer until the liquid is gone, cover with cheese. Stir and serve.

Tip. I usually have a hard time stopping the eating process when I have this dish, but last night I took 2 of my medium containers (from that set that has 3 different size containers with the same size lids that come in a handy spinning rack) and filled them before having my supper. I still probably ate too much of it, but at least I didn't eat the whole thing, and wasn't in pain for an hour after supper. I had one of the containers for breakfast today and I'll probably have the other for breakfast tomorrow.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?