Wednesday, May 31, 2006

 

Wedensday Whatever - May 31, edition

I haven't felt very creative lately, so, sorry about the lack of posting. Could be because it has been warmer here than I like it...pushing 90 every day. Sunday was rough on me, because our central air wasn't working. It was like the condensor or evaporator were clogged and/or iced over. We shut 'er down over night and thankfully it worked fine the next day and since (so far). Sunday could have also had a little bit to do with Saturday night. You see, I have a couple of real good friends that live in the next town over, and one of them has a daughter who graduated from High School this year. Her party was Saturday from 4:00 to 7:00 for an open house (non-alcoholic), but her Dad invited me to come late and stick around for the after party (beer served). Now, I don't know if I've mentioned this or not, but since the first of the year, I really haven't been drinking very much. Seems like 3 is pretty much my limit for now, when even 6 months ago, it wasn't even a good start. Anway, back to the party. I showed up at about 6:30 to make sure I had a little food in the belly to offset some of the alcohol. The last teacher left at about 7:15, so that's when the cooler was brought out to the back side of the Shelter House, and those of us that were of age dug in. I think we had 4 rounds there before getting the inside of the shelter house cleaned up and heading up to "dad's" patio. A few rounds later, it has become 11:00 and the other non-family couple that was still there decided to leave, and I decided to make my break for it then as well. Who knows, I might STILL be there drinking if I hadn't left then.

Sorry dear readers, that last sentence reminded me of another story that I just gotta tell you now. This one is about a party I went to about 4 years ago. We had done an in-bar dart league with the same teams playing each other every week for 8 weeks, and decided to have a real blow out bash at the end. One couple on the league had a nice secluded acreage, another couple were just starting a DJ'ing business, and the rest of us were just lookin' for a reason. I should also mention at this time that the couple with the acreage also had a daughter about my age that I was VERY interested in. Anyway, the party plan we came up with was for the dart players and their spouses who didn't play on the league would show up at (I think) 5:30 for a steak fry, and other people were to show up later for drinks and all around fun. Now, since this was 4 years ago, and I hadn't yet learned that no matter how hard I tried, I wasn't going to be able to drink Milwaukee dry, at least in one night, I brought a cooler with 2 cases of beer in it, along with a huge jug of Kamikaze's mixed up. The beer was for me, the kamikaze's were for anybody with the courage. I aslo brought my big ol' heavy duty "lawn chair" that I had built a couple of years earlier when I was laid up with a bum hip (not doing that story yet, maybe some time when I don't have anything better). Well, the party's going along fine...getting to be about 8:00 or so, when I decided it was time to adjourn down closer to the barn and the designated music/dance "floor" area. I carried my cooler down first, then came back for my chair. Now this thing weighs close to 50 pounds, and a couple of friends asked if I'd like some help with it, but, since I was already drinking and feeling like Superman, I grasped it by the top rail of the backrest and the front rail of the seat, and hoisted it over my head for the 40 yard walk. Once I got to where I was going to park my butt for a lot of the rest of the night, instead of setting the chair down, I acted like a body builder and did 10 reps of pushing it from just over my head to full arm extension. At this time, the daughter that I was interested in still hadn't shown up, since she was in Southern Kansas with an uncle that wasn't in very good shape...she was coming to the party though. The sun went down and the music cranked up. Those of us that weren't feeling much pain started dancing and stuff. Now, this part is a little gross, so if you must, skip down to the next paragraph. You know how when you're drinking on a full stomach and then you start shakin' it all about, you feel the need to vomit? Well, this feeling hit me about now. However, I'm not your ordinary bear. I decided to sit on my chair and swallow air for a while to try to get rid of this feeling. Now, I don't know why I didn't just walk around behind my chair and hurl, but I hit the point of no return and for some reason even I can't come up with, decided not to let any of it out of my mouth and swallowed it again (definately tasted best the first time, not so bad the second coming up, but downright disgusting the third time going back down).

Okay, now that I have the rest of you back (chickens, lol), I think the daughter finally showed up. And, out comes the box for a really disturbing game that the DJ's came up with. Since the daughter (from here on, my friend) hadn't been into the beer as much as the rest of us yet, she wasn't going to play, but she decided to hang out behind my chair (which had since been moved to the middle of the dance "floor", along with many others). This game involved a bag of clothes being passed around and the DJ starting and stopping the music. I ended up with a bra on my head (wasn't gonna fit my chest area), a "pull up" on my arm (no way in hell it was gonna fit anywhere else), and a few other women's garments strategically located. About 3:00 most of the guests left, but me, my friend, a buddy of mine, and another guy ended up on the deck (yes I still had my 50# chair in tow). Sunrise the 2 other guys left, and about 6:30 my friend decided to go to bed. She tried to convince me to go along up, but I didn't (been kicking myself very hard about that ever since). Instead I went for a little walk around the acreage...down to the fire ring where there were still some warm embers...into the pasture that served as our parking lot...etc. I then got in my truck, drove to where my cooler still was, loaded that up, then drove up to the sidewalk just down from the deck to get what little sleep I was going to get. About 7:00 I heard something and looked up to the deck, where the guy that owned the acreage was sitting. So, what do I do? Drag my ass back up to the deck and have a Pepsi to wake up. One by one, the homeowner's wife and parents come out to the deck for their morning coffee. I think it was around 10:00 or so that we finally decided to do some breakfast and my friend hauled her butt outta bed...complaining she was still drunk. The rest of the morning and part of the afternoon held decent conversation, but people were getting tired. I did actually make the 5 mile drive home to try to get an hour nap, but it was so humid in my living room that I didn't get much sleep. I had been invited back out for Supper, and since I had forgotten my chair and cooler, I was almost obligated to return. This time tho, the beer came back out and much more conversation ensued. I finally returned home for good at about 10:00 PM. I don't remember if I slept good or not. I know I sure should have.

WOW, quite an entry for not knowing what to talk about when I started. Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry if I made you sick earlier. But, hey, you WERE warned. lol.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?