Thursday, May 25, 2006

 

Now for the time I was arrested

It was the summer of 1989, and my mother was in the hospital battling cancer. We had been having some different customers in the liquor store that summer, and at the time I was not very interested in carding anybody to see if they were old enough (I was only 19 myself). One late afternoon a guy that I'd sold to several times before came in and got his usual purchase, then Dad and I closed up to go visit Mom in the hospital. I think the date was July 7, but I could be wrong. Anyway, Mom passed away on July 17th of that year and we set about doing the funeral stuff, and slowly start to get our lives back in order. The evening of July 25th, we had closed the store and I was waiting for a buddy to arrive because we were going to go out for pizza just for the hell of it. Well, I look out the window and see 2 deputies walking down the sidewalk and turn to come to our door. I didn't know what to expect, didn't realize I had broken the law, so I just went to the door and opened it before they rang the bell. One of them then asks me to step outside and proceeds to tell me that he has a warrant for my arrest. You can imagine that I'm totally shocked, stunned, and speechless. I'm not disappointed, but I didn't get to wear the iron bracelets or ride behind the screen separating the driver from the arrestee. Well, we pull up to the police station and get out. I get my fingerprints taken, my pictures taken, and then they ask me if I have $230 bail money. Luckily, they took checks then, and I had just that afternoon decided I had enough money in my checking account to make a decent transfer to savings (last time I've ever had extra money laying around). Dad had followed us down to the station, so I didn't have to use my phone call (do you suppose I now have 2 if I get arrested again?).

Remember I was waiting for a buddy to go out for pizza? Well, when we finally returned home, I called his place to see if he was there, and his mom said that no, he was out for the evening with Tim (me). I'm not sure if I explained the situation to her at that point or left it up to him, but I ended up going for a drive to see if I could find him, caught a glimpse of his vehicle on what was going to be his last trip by our house before giving up, and we finally got to go have our pizza. We did, however go to the Pizza Hut in the town to the North of us instead of the originally planned Pizza Hut in the town South of us that also has the police station I'd just spent time in.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?